I joined Fit Mom a little over 2 years ago in June 2011. I was a very busy mom of three little boys and I had just quit my job to become a stay-at-home mom. A close friend had been doing Melanie’s classes and it sounded like the change in my workout that I needed. I have always “worked out” in one way or another (not so easy with 3 kiddos at home) usually running on a treadmill or taking a class at the gym, but I wasn’t following anything really consistently and felt like I needed a change and something to motivate me more. Melanie proved to be just what I needed! I wasn’t sure that I had it in me to get up for a 6 a.m. workout, but figured that I would give it a shot. I work out 3-4 times a week, of which 2-3 of those workouts are FitMom bootcamp. I have come to learn that there are very few people or classes that I will get up for, but Melanie is one of them. Her classes are challenging and she is always pushing us to set new goals. She instills in us that “we are worth it” and that “we can do anything that we put our minds too!” The best part about it is that everyone in class is just like me; a busy mom who is just trying to stay healthy and get a good workout in with our hectic schedules. I want to stress that we are all busy, but Melanie constantly reminds us how important it is to make ourselves a priority. If we take care of ourselves and we feel good, we are in a better position to take care of our family!
Melanie has always told us that it is the small changes that will add up to make us healthier. She is always sending us healthy recipes and new meal ideas. I have always been a pretty healthy eater but as I have gotten older, I noticed that the scale just wasn’t where I wanted it to be. I had shared this with Melanie and she told me that our bodies do change as we get older (hormones come into play and metabolism slows), and we aren’t always going to weigh what we did in our 20’s. She told me that by focusing on when, how much and what I was eating; I could change my body and get the results I was looking for. Last spring I decided to take her advice to heart and focused on eating “cleaner.” First, I stopped eating the leftover food on my kids plates (let’s face it ….we all are guilty of this). This was tough, but I was shocked at how much I was actually consuming with all those extra little bites and snacks. It added up to be a lot more than I thought. Because I had to actually focus on NOT doing it, the realization hit me hard! In the beginning I decided to be very strict with my diet, in order to change my habits. I didn’t eat anything with sugar, no carbohydrates, and I didn’t drink during the week (that was a tough one ☺.) Melanie does not recommend any specific diet, but I chose to start strict and eliminate certain foods in order to change some habits that were preventing me from weight loss. Let me stress that I followed my “diet” plan very strictly during the week, but I relaxed it on the weekends. The decision to eat clean has forced me to have a lot of veggies on hand and it has also forced me to plan my meals and snacks ahead of time. This helps me to stay on track and eliminates the need or desire to eat out as often. Having healthy snacks on hand also comes in handy during the witching hour when I’m cooking dinner and the kids are eating a snack. If I have the right foods in the fridge and “healthy snacks” on hand I reach for them to hold me over and am able to resist the urge to eat my kid’s food and snacks. The results of total “clean” eating were pretty immediate and the scale became my friend again. When you start to see change happen quickly you are motivated to stick with it. I feel so much better, and I am stronger and leaner. Once I reached my goal, I learned to allow myself a couple drinks on the weekend (and sometimes during the week☺) or dinner out with friends, but I’m always aware of how much and how often I am eating. I also reincorporated food with natural sugars (i.e. fruit) and complex carbohydrates (i.e. whole grains). Melanie has always told us that we need to eat healthy 80% of the time and we can enjoy ourselves the other 20%. This is great advice, because I don’t feel deprived like diets can make you feel, and I focus on how great I feel when I fuel my body with healthy food. Nobody is perfect 100% time and you can’t beat yourself up when you enjoy yourself. You just have to know that when you wake up the next morning you can get right back on track and no real damage is done. Life is short, and we need to enjoy ourselves too!
I feel very fortunate to have found this class and to be surrounded by a group of great women who are pushing me. Melanie believes in us and inspires us to be the best that we can be.
“We are a work in progress”, which means we get there a little at a time, not all at once.